Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Momofuku Steamed Chicken Buns

Last night, Ben and I went to Momofuku Noodle Bar to nurse our seasonal colds in soup and drown our perpetual sorrows in noodles.  I've been to Momofuku several times over the past winter for lunch, because of its dependable food, proximity to my apartment and recession prix-fixe specials. The noodle bar doesn't consistenly dazzle, but it doesn't disappoint either. However, the food was somewhat uneven last night.

We ordered the following:

1 bowl of  Pork Ramen
1 bowl of Ginger Scallion Noodles
1 order of the chicken-steamed buns
1 order of the Angelfood soft-serve ice-cream

I actually didn't try the ramen last night, but I've had  the porky, soupy delight several times during previous visits. Ben seemed to like it, as he slurped up every last drop of it.  Truth be known, I really disliked the ginger scallion noodle dish, as it was over-salted, dense and had no taste whatsoever. I could barely detect ginger, due to the high salt content. I ate a few bites and that's it.  Bleech!


Ginger-scallion Noodles: Do not order this!


The highlight of the night was the steamed chicken bun.  I typically opt for the steamed pork, but I was feeling contrarian and ordered chicken.  The chicken was flavorful, moist, and not overly hoisin-sauced. The thin, flat piece of fried chicken skin, inserted in the bun,  gave the dish a nice crunch.

The angelfood soft-serve had some sort of brown-sugar crumble on top--not bad.

I must try the fried chicken the next time I'm there... 

Momofuku Noodle Bar
171 First Avenue btwn 10th and 11th Streets
New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment