Monday, November 16, 2009

Party! Pizza Party: Roberta's


Half-eaten pizza.  
Last Saturday, my friend, Sabina and I had plans to go to a loft party in Bushwick.  So, I recommended that we go to a restaurant called Roberta's in the area, which is  accessible by a harmless subway ride on the L to the Morgan stop.  I've been there a number of times when I'm in the vicinity.  The food is pretty consistent and the variety and simplicity of the menu are enough to please most people. The centerpiece of the menu is the pizza, cooked in a wood-burning oven at the front of the restaurant.  Being THE local spot in Bushwick, the only major drawback of Roberta's is that the wait for a proper table is always impossibly long (well, 45 minutes). Luckily, the wait for 2 spots at the bar area is not. We ordered the following:

  • Kale Salad with Guanciale,  Pickled Onions w  Vinaigrette: I highly recommend this dish.  The kale was fresh and crunchy--dressed with a perfect balance of fat and acid.
  • Grilled Skirt Steak:  Very simple, well-cooked and well-seasoned.
  • Good Girl Pizza: Kale, Tallegio, Pork sausage, and Garlic: My go-to dish here. I've had it every single time I've been here. Really tasty.  Sometimes the garlic slices are a bit overbearing, but this time around it was perfect.
Everything is big enough to split, except for the skirt steak.
I kind of went overboard on the kale that night, but the leafy green is an immunity booster and wards off H1N1.  The waiter said that 35% of the kale (and other produce) is sourced from the greenhouse on the premises and the remainder is locally sourced.

Compared to a commensurate Manhattan dining experience, the prices are recession-friendly and  very reasonable. The staff is quite busy but cheerful.  No reservations and cash only (ATM outside the building).

Roberta's 
261 Moore St Brooklyn,NY
Mon-Fri 12p.m.-Midnight
Sat-Sun 11a.m.-Midnight
718-417-1118
*My anthem for the night. Couldn't stop singing it.




Roberta's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment