Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Banana Meatloaf

Maybe it's because of my chronic seasonal affective disorder or my botched Halloween bacon costume from the weekend, but I have been hankering after comfort food all week. And what embodies comfort food like no other dish? Meatloaf!

I came across a novelty recipe for Banana Meatloaf posted on the Retro Recipes feature for Eatmedaily.com, originally published in 1941 by a fruit purveyor to hawk more bananas. Not sure if it will satiate my cravings, but I dig the old-timey anthropomorphization of the banana.



"Recipe: Banana Meat Loaf
From Bananas: How To Serve Them, 1941
1 pound ground beef
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Mix the beef, crumbs, onion, salt and pepper until fully incorporated. Add the mustard to the mashed banana and mix into beef. Pack into oiled loaf pan and bake at 350 for one hour, or until cooked through."


Via: Eatmedaily.com

No comments:

Post a Comment